Cycling is a popular outdoor activity for people of all ages and fitness levels. It offers the opportunity to explore new places, experience nature up close, and engage in physical activity simultaneously. Cycling can be done alone or in groups, making it a versatile training that can be customised to fit individual preferences.
Cycling has numerous benefits, including improved cardiovascular health, increased muscle strength and flexibility, and reduced stress levels. Cycling is also a low-impact activity, making it an excellent choice for those with joint problems or other injuries. Cycling is a sustainable mode of transportation, reducing carbon emissions and promoting eco-friendly lifestyles. Additionally, cycling is a fun and social activity that can be enjoyed with family and friends.
Step 1: Choose A Suitable Bike Tour
There are various bike tours, ranging from leisurely rides to challenging mountain trails.
- Road cycling tours
- Mountain biking tours
- Multi-day tours
- Self-guided tours
- Guided tours
It is essential to consider the following when selecting a bike trip to ensure a safe and pleasurable experience:
- Confirm that the tour is appropriate for your ability level.
- Choose a route that corresponds to your familiarity with the terrain.
- Choose a tour suitable for your fitness and endurance level.
- Check the weather forecast for the tour site and select an appropriate time to visit.
- Evaluate the tour’s pricing and ensure it fits your budget.
Step 2: Get the Right Gear
The right gear is essential to ensure a safe and comfortable cycling experience.
- Bike lock
- Water bottle
Wearing appropriate clothing and footwear and getting the proper bike accessories can enhance your cycling experience.
Step 3: Prepare Physically
Preparing physically before a bike tour can help prevent injuries and ensure a more enjoyable experience. Cycling requires physical stamina and endurance; preparing your body can help you meet these demands.
It’s essential to incorporate cycling-specific training into your exercise routine. Stretching and warming up before a ride can help prevent injuries and improve performance.
Step 4: Learn Basic Cycling Skills
1. Learning basic bike handling skills is essential for safe and comfortable cycling.
- Mounting and dismounting the bike
- Riding in a straight line
- Turning and cornering
- Riding over obstacles, such as bumps or curbs
2. Knowing how to shift gears can significantly impact your cycling experience.
- Use lower gears when climbing hills or starting from a stop.
- Use higher gears when cycling on flat terrain or downhill.
- Shift gears before using them, such as before a hill or a turn.
3. Understanding how to use your brakes properly can help prevent accidents and ensure a safer ride.
- Use both brakes simultaneously, with more pressure on the front brake.
- Avoid using only the rear brake, as this can cause skidding.
- Use the brakes gently and gradually rather than abruptly.
Step 5: Enjoy the Ride
Cycling is a great way to connect with like-minded individuals and make new friends. Consider joining a cycling club or group in your area or connecting with fellow cyclists on social media. You can also ask for recommendations on the best routes or gear.
Popular and Friendly Bike Tours for Beginners
New Zealand offers some stunning cycling routes for beginners. Some popular beginner-friendly bike tours in New Zealand include:
- Otago Rail Trail: This trail is 152 kilometres long and follows an old railway line, offering a relaxed and scenic ride.
- Hawke’s Bay Trails: This trail network is over 200 kilometres long and offers a mix of off-road and on-road riding through stunning landscapes.
- Great Lake Trail: This 71-kilometre trail follows the shores of Lake Taupo and offers a range of beginner-friendly sections.
- Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail: This 301-kilometre trail takes cyclists through some of New Zealand’s most stunning scenery, including mountains, lakes, and rivers. The course is suitable for all levels of fitness and experience.
Start Your Cycling Journey Today
Cycling is a fun, healthy, and eco-friendly way to explore the outdoors and stay active. With the right gear, physical preparation, basic cycling skills, and a positive attitude, anyone can start their cycling journey and enjoy the beautiful landscapes of New Zealand.
Don’t be intimidated by the prospect of starting something new – take it one step at a time and enjoy the ride. So, grab your bike, helmet, and gear, and hit the road for an adventure of a lifetime. Your cycling journey in New Zealand awaits you.
Escape By Cycle: Beginner-friendly Bike Tours
Escape By Cycle is the perfect choice for beginners looking to explore New Zealand’s beautiful scenery on a bicycle. With tailored tours, expert guides, and high-quality equipment,
Escape By Cycle ensures a safe and enjoyable experience for riders of all skill levels. Book your tour today and discover the beauty of New Zealand on two wheels!
What’s Next on our Blog
In our upcoming blog post, we will discuss the best cycle tours for seniors in New Zealand and the top destinations to visit on a cycling adventure.
Whether you’re an active senior looking to explore the great outdoors or enjoy a leisurely ride through stunning landscapes, our guide has everything you need to plan your next cycling trip.
Stay tuned for more!